Matt is my cousin. Matt and I were roommates for one year, the year after my mission and the year before his mission to Iceland. Suffice to say, I think that was one of the most story-producing years of my life. Matt has a unique ability to connect with people around him, and when in the mood, could create some pretty awesome situations. As an example, I remember walking to campus with him, having fake conversations on fake cell phones. We would try to have as outlandish of conversations as possible (not with each other, but with the imaginary person at the other end of the line), all to create an awesome experience for an innocent passer-by to relate to their friends at the end of the day. Of course, it also greatly amused us. Life that year was full of fun.
Matt is an amazing bodybuilder, lacrosse-player, hockey goalie (seriously, he played with us once in a pick-up game after an intramural floor hockey game in college and he looked better than the NHL goalies on TV, which of course I see all the time now that I live in Canada), and a great friend. Matt, welcome to the Hall of Baldness!

(Sorry, I have to put in one more Matt story. So, we are at this BYU men's soccer game, sitting in the stands, and one of players on the other team has long hair. At some point during the game he starts getting yelled at by some fans seated behind us and off to the side, maybe 30 feet away, who are making fun of his hair. Matt stands up and yells something to the effect of, "Hey! That's my brother! You don't see me come to your house and make fun of your family!" at the fans. Then Matt sits down. That basically shut up the fan, who didn't really have anything to say. I was seated between Matt and the fans, and I could physically feel the tension in the air. After a couple of minutes, Matt stands back up, turns to the fans and yells "Hey! He's not my brother!" and then proceeds to laugh like it was the funniest thing. I think everyone around was laughing, and it totally diffused the whole situation. I still get a smile every time I think of that and countless other memory treasures from my time living with Matt. )
Chris, this breaks my heart reading about what you are going through. I have always looked up to you, Ryan and Steve from those years. You three came straight from your missions, and I came straight from high school. I had no real identity, I was just a kid who enjoyed life and people and had no cares in the world. I had been trained to do what is right, but was very similar to Alice when she came to the fork in the road and she asked the Cheshire cat which way to go, and he responded, well, if you don't know which way you are going, it doesn't matter what road you take. I was just spinning my wheels, I hadn't turned the corner, as my dad always said.
ReplyDeleteIf it had not been for you, Ryan, and Steve, I very well could have been on a much, much different road. It was your love, example, and friendship that pushed me in the right direction. I look back on those years, too, with great fondness, because that is where I began to make decisions on my own, not because I was under mommy and daddy's roof. I have always felt a great love for you for being so patient with me, and understanding when I know I was far from easy to live with.
I love you, Chris, and seeing you go through this with such a positive attitude is who you are, it is how I hope to be when I am tossed into rough waters.
Hang in there, and know that we are all cheering you on. You are as the second group of people in Alma 62:41. They endured the same war the others did, but they came out of it refined, as the others chose to be bitter and spiteful.
Thank you for all you have done, and continue to do. You will forever be in my hall of fame.
matt