I am still getting used to being the senior and advising person in a research partnership. Frankly, I am still getting used to collaborating with others at all, but I think it will be great. Both of the masters students I am working with seem really great, and I am finally getting deep enough into the problems to keep my mind working on them when I have brain-cycles to spare.
After work yesterday we were invited over to dinner at the Sala's, a family in our ward here. We had a delicious spaghetti dinner and a fun Family Home Evening with their family of 5 kids (ages 1-11). FHE even included brownies, which were super yummy (maybe I should make some myself tonight, or talk Brittney into it, even better :) It was really fun visiting with them and getting more people in the ward that I feel like a know at some level.
Everyone in the ward has been really outgoing and friendly, but it still takes time, especially for me, to connect with people and develop relationships to the point where you can move beyond the surface niceties of socializing. I know we will get there in this ward too, and last night's dinner was a good step in that direction.
My appetite has been back in full force the last few days. I had about 4 plates of spaghetti at dinner last night, and about 5 burritos at our own scrumptious mexican feast tonight. (I will have to talk more about the severe and lamentable lack of adequate mexican food here in Edmonton, but that perhaps should be put off until another time).
I feel good about eating more normally, and hope this continues throughout the whole of chemo. I am sure things will get worse as the treatments pile on top of each other, but I think we have been blessed to start this first two weeks in a pretty good place.
I'm so glad to hear this positive report on work, and eating and social contacts. I miss you all so much!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're feeling better! We should've warned you about the Mexican food. Such a bummer. We searched & searched & finally found a place in Calgary. It was crazy expensive and the food was awful. I was hoping BC would be better, but no such luck. We crossed into Washington yesterday to do some shopping & eat Mexican food!:)
ReplyDeleteLack of good mexican food in all of CANADA!! Seriously. I'm so glad you made it in to work! Good job. If I sent you some brownies do you think they would still taste good ? :)
ReplyDeleteChris,
ReplyDeleteGlad to read about a better day. We're thinking about your family and praying for the comforter to be with you at this time. Stay strong!
Rocky