Wednesday, August 15, 2012

One Year Later

One year ago today, August 15, 2011, our lives were changed.  That was the day we got the call from the doctor with the results of the biopsy, revealing that I had Hodgkins Lymphoma.  I thought I would take the opportunity to briefly reflect on the past year and give a long overdue update.


Update first:  For the last month we have been having vacation packed next to vacation packed next to holiday.  There was a bike trip in Jasper and Banff National Parks with the Young Men, a Betteridge family reunion in Montana, the AAAI Conference in Toronto, and finally a glorious week in Hawaii, kid-free (thanks Mom!).  You can see more pictures and details at our family blog here.

We met with the doctor on Monday for a check up, and she had the results of the CT scan we had done about a month ago.  She said that the mass in my chest has not grown at all, and so everything still appears to be fine.  That was definitely good news.  Now back to normal life,  which feels sweeter than ever.

This past year has been one of many challenges and many blessings.  I have been struck personally by how many amazing and wonderful people I have been surrounded by my whole life.  People who love and support me and bring me so much joy.  I had my testimony of the church and its organization strengthened as I saw first hand the blessing and support that a loving (and brand new to us!) ward and bishop could provide.  It is a blessing to be surrounded by people who have made covenants with their Father in Heaven to comfort those who stand in need of comfort, and who live up to those covenants in their daily lives.  I have been struck with how much joy has been brought into my life by the simple things: the smile of my daughter Gwen, a hug from my boys, a kind email from a friend, feeling the sun on my skin, feeling well enough to enjoy a movie, popcorn, and some cuddling with my Brittney.  I have  been humbled to see how interconnected we are all as people as I have felt love and support trickle in from people far and wide, who I never would have thought could have been affected by anything that happened to me.  I have learned that however hard life seems, there are blessings all around if we can but notice them, gifts from a kind Heavenly Father.  I have felt the uplifting power of the prayers and support of others become a reality.  I have been moved to tears by the kindness of others more times than I can count.  I have seen my life flash before my eyes, far too many times, and realized those things that I most want from my life:  to be a loving Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Uncle, Friend, and hopefully Grandfather and more someday.  I have gained a new appreciation for even the most mundane and simple moments with my family, because whatever it is, it is time with my family, and I hope never to take that for granted again.   I have learned that life continues to go on, even with hardship in the way, and that we can do hard things.


I am not sure that life will ever go back to normal.  Aches and pains of yesteryear now have the potential to signify something more sinister than simple soreness.  But I just try not to worry too much about what the future might hold, since it is uncertain for all of us, and just focus on enjoying the blessings of today.  My beautiful and wonderful wife, my adorable and loving children, and all my extended family and friends.  We have been so blessed.  Thanks to each and every one of you for your prayers and support.  I will continue to enjoy and rejoice in each new day we all have together.

4 comments:

  1. We will rejoice with you! Great post, Chris. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary and I have prayed for you every day since hearing about the diagnosis, so hearing about your great news just strengthens our faith even more--thanks for sharing. We miss you and Brittney but so happy you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Chris, and inspiring and reminding us about the joys and purposes of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to here this Chris. Even though I'm horrible at keeping in touch, I think about you guys often. You're an awesome example, and I'm grateful to count you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete